Monday 20 January 2014

Day One: Recreating an old design. SFX

Day One: Recreating an old design. SFX

Day One: I've started to recreate one of my designs (I've linked the photo below) It's designed to look like half of my face has peeled away or been cut off? Something like that. I did think about creating a mold of the part that's been peeled off but I didn't know how to do it at first. 

Now it's been over two months nearly three and my friend linked me to an artist that had the same idea! Well a tad the same.. (I'll link her name as soon as I find it again) I wasn't annoyed that someone else had the same idea since it's finally gave my mind to peace with the design. I'm not completely copying her design, just the idea of her making the face from a mask (casting).

And that's what I did. I had left over casting strips from my castings I did at college so lucky on that part and lucky that I've done over 30 cast faces on myself that I knew what to do! It's not really hard though.. well this kind of casting isn't.

Step One: Cut out lots of casting strips, have water ready, tissue paper and Vaseline.. ha

Step Two: Put Vaseline all over the face and rip off some tissue paper (Toilet Paper) and place over any hair on the face, I did it on my eyebrows.

Step Three: Start placing the casting strips on you're face. Don't go too close to the eyes and don't cover the nostrils or you won't be able to breath haha  

I'd put maybe 4-5 layers so that'll be less likely to fall apart.


Step Four: I left it for 5 minutes but you could leave it for more but I didn't bother.. It'll still be a tad wet and will be fragile so be careful when taking it off which all you need to do is make lots of weird faces and it'll slowly start coming off. Don't rush taking it off! Leave it alone for a few hours, just to let it harden.

Step Five: I took a hand full of cotton wool pads and placed some behind the eyes part, this let me fill in the eyes. It won't look as right and if you can find any other way that'll look more eye shaded then do that but this was the way I did it. It still looks okay for now, I haven't started on the eye part yet so I'll decide then if the cotton pads have worked or not. It was more of a background to place the casting strips on.

(Sorry for the quality of the photos, using my laptop camera)


Step Six: Fix the shape that you want, you'll need someone to help as you won't be able to see (Really should have done this part before the eyes) Mistakes that I'll learn. I decided to just take photos and see which shape I'll cut from it.

Step Seven: Getting the right colour! Now this part is where it get's tricky.. well it has for me. 
I'm using Acrylic paint and that's as far as where I've got to. 

I will continue once I've made progress.. 

(This is the design I am recreating)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment